Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Bellagio Conservatory

When Chuck wants to do something nice for me, he takes me to my favorite free attraction on the Las Vegas Strip, the Bellagio. To me it is a free glimpse into the world of the cultured and affluent.
First, the parking is graciously convenient, allowing you to park within yards of the conservatory. When you walk into the building, you are greeted with marble floors, and the unmistakable fragrance of flowers. You view the conservatory almost immediately   upon entering, with bursts of color, pattern, and movement. Beneath a 55 foot tall glass ceiling this atrium provides a feast for the eyes with sculptures and tableaus created with flowers, petals, seeds, plants, trees, water, fish, fountains, and much more. The presentation changes four times a year, with "shows" such as penguins or polar bears in the winter, butterflies and carousels in the spring, multihued leaves and wooden bridges in the fall, and lemonade stands and ladybugs in the summer. With each scene there is a magical quality that draws visitors from around the world. I love to watch the expressions of the guests, marveling at the splendor of the scene before them. People take their pictures in front of the blossoms, or the scenes with such delight it makes me smile. The sense of awe is pervasive.
Then, to make a great trip even more marvelous, we head outside to watch the fountains of Bellagio. Most people have seen the fountains on television, an impressive display of water and music. But like anything worthwhile, it is best seen in person.  It is difficult to describe the exhilaration you experience when you witness the perfect synchronization of music and sprays, jets, fountains, and mists of water, punctuated with lights and soothed with fog.
I average a visit to the Bellagio conservatory and fountains four to five times a year, welcoming each season with a trip to the hotel where the well-heeled stay. But as my mother likes to remind me, “even a cat can look at a king”.
To see a video of the changing of the “shows” visit http://www.vegas.com/attractions/on_the_strip/bellagioconservatory.html


9 comments:

  1. That is truly a gesture of love for your husband! Definitely on my list of places to see in a couple of weeks. Loved your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just visited the Bellagio Conservatory this past weekend as well. After speaking with Faith about her recent experience at the conservatory, I couldn't help but to see it for myself....well I kind of dragged my whole family:) All the ho hums quickly disappeared when the sight of the beautiful flowers of all colors, came into view. Although the flowers are beautiful, my main reason for going there was to see the butterflies. I love butterflies, and after that visit, my kids love them, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Bellagio is absolutely my favorite place to visit in Vegas. I lvoe the conservatory and the fountains. Someday I would even like to spend the night at the Bellagio, maybe for one of our anniversaries. We were just there last weekend with my sister's family! It was beautiful as always, although, we had to explain to the kids why they couldn't ride the carousel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who owns the Bellagio Conservatory?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to see this sometime. Your husband is very thoughtful! Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Bellagio is owned by MGM Resorts International. Inspired by the Lake Como resort of Bellagio in Italy, Bellagio is famed for its elegance. One of its most notable features is an 8-acre (3.2 ha) lake between the building and the Strip, which houses the Fountains of Bellagio. Information from Wikipedia.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful pictures, my friend is staying there in May. She usually stays at the Wynn but opted for a change this year. I am looking forward to seeing the beautiful flowers. It will be my first time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How nice Chuck takes the time to take you to your favorite place. The flowers are so pretty and colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks like a beautiful place to visit. I am thinking I need to put Las Vegas on my vacation list this year! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete