Tuesday, March 22, 2011

familiar roads

Although the ocean is my favorite natural environment, I do appreciate nature’s diversity and the varied environs which earth and water has to offer. I like tranquil country creeks, rushing rivers,  grand lakes, serene inlets, and  woody swamps. I like forests, meadows, hills, mountains, and deserts. Yes, deserts. In fact, I truly enjoy my excursions from Las Vegas, Nevada, to Pomona, California driving to see my mother.
I enjoy the clear vistas of sand in hues of cream and tan, dotted with Joshua trees, crackly tumbleweed, delicate wild flowers and scraggly mesquite bushes.  I find the sand dunes calming in their timeless patterns of rising and shifting sand. The sturdy mountains in their muted shades of buff, sepia, moss green, lavender and gray encircle me. The open space and long road that stretches before me summons me to unwind, decompress, relax, and be still. Of course, not too still, as the responsibility of driving forces you to be aware.  
The dry ephemeral lake beds in the distance give the impression of water when the sun reflects off the salty crust of the earth. They look like a mirage and I like the way that they trick the eye. The presence of water in this desert centuries ago is evidenced by the alluvial fans formed at the base of the mountains.
Yes, I truly enjoy the trip from Las Vegas to Pomona, and am always on the lookout for something novel to appreciate.

11 comments:

  1. This is a great site! I like its content!...Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your descriptive writing. I can close my eyes and visualize your drive. I also enjoy a long drive with good scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Surprisingly, one of my favorite places I visited was Glacier Bay in Alaska. I was so surprise by the sound of the ice breaking off (sounded like gunshots), was well as the blue of the ice (from the sunlight bending). Before this trip, I thought glaciers were boring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am assuming that you observed Glacier Bay from a cruise ship. Did you enjoy the cruise? Did you also see Skagway, Juneau, or Ketchikan. My husband and I took a cruise to Alaska and I loved it. I, too, marveled at the glaciers, and was impressed by the calving of the ice. The blue ice was magical, and the Alaskan coast with its
    moutains and wilderness and wildlife is spectacular. My husband, however, was less impressed and said he would prefer a warmer Caribbean cruise. I did not let it dampen my spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a gift for words, Faith! Your description of the drive to California, makes me want to take a trip down over there. You should really pursue your dreams of writing children's books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Faith,
    Your word make me feel as if you are a very positive person and find the best in every situation. During the stress of work and school, I will enjoy reading your peaceful and soothing words. Thanks for providing an oasis in this adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your writing is so descriptive, I feel as though I am there. Your entries make me want to get and and begin traveling. As Jill said above...this is definitely something to read when you are feeling stressed and need to get away.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always enjoy reading your travel stories. You paint such vivd pictures with your words.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Faith,
    In reference to your comment on my blog...My students were required to decorate their pots and my student teacher suggested Native American Indian designs. He had a video to show them from a Navajo potter. Many chose designs based on Native American Indians but not all did which is fine. I was inspired by their work when I went to Colorado years ago.
    I have photos on my blog now if you want to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your writing just puts me at ease and in a such a tranquil place. Very descriptive...Have you ever thought of publishing anything? I think you should. Are you into Photography? If so, you could write to accompany your photos. I have a student in my Photography class who has your same gift. She writes so well and shoots excellent photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I may have to read your blog to my students as an awesome example of descriptive writing! I really enjoyed reading your post!

    ReplyDelete