Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Lasting memories

Imagine the double pleasure of going to the beach and an amusement park at the same time. That is what we did when I met my sister who lives in Pittsburg at my parent’s house in Pomona California. Mom and Dad had planned a trip for us to Pacific Park on the Santa Monica Pier, in Santa Monica California. The park was lively with families, young couples, and more seasoned travelers. There was a roller coaster which seemed to circle the entire park and a nine story Ferris wheel which gave us an expansive view of the beach and the park. We ate the typical carnival food, including hamburgers, funnel cakes, and ice cream.
The park sits atop wood planks and stilts, above the sand and the surf. As we ambled among the boardwalk games watching patrons try to win stuffed animals, the smell of the ocean and the cotton candy added to the charm. I could hear the ocean waves and the screams of the delighted children and teenagers as they rode the roller coaster. We enjoyed the park, but the best part we saved for last.
We walked down to the sand, took off our shoes and socks, and made our way to the shoreline. My father was not particularly fond of walking barefoot, especially in the sand, and it was a difficult trek for him. The cold water was not something he relished, but he did all this along with the rest of us because he knew that this was making a memory. He knew that standing in the waves with his wife and two of his daughters, was somehow a gift that he was giving us by which we could remember him. We took pictures of each other, facing the camera, with the blue expanse of ocean behind us and the sun radiant on the water beneath a brilliant sky. I will always remember that selfless gesture from my dad. We all knew that he was ill, but had no idea that within a few months, he would go to be with his heavenly father.  I marvel at how things change in our lives, and how important the simple things are, like walking barefoot in the sand.

5 comments:

  1. Faith,
    This is beautifully written. I could picture those walks in my head. Walking barefoot in the sand is one of my favorite things to do as well! Blogging is such a great way to get down those wonderful memories in our head so we can share them with others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, Amy, I never truly understood the purpose of blogging. My introduction to it was the movie "Julie and Julia". I really enjoyed the movie, and thought I understood what Julie was doing, at least as far as following through with something meaningful to her, and putting it down in words for others to read. I never looked up her blog on the internet, or anyone else's blog for that matter. I just didn't feel as if I wanted to get caught up in one more thing that would take up my time and attention. But I am starting to realize now how it can be therapeutic, or enlightening, or uplifting, or humerous for not only the writer but also those who have similar interests. I cannot say whether I will continue blogging after this class is over, but I do enjoy this part of our assignment, writing and reading other's blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You paint mental pictures with your words and I love to read your posts. Writing has allowed you retrospective thoughts and memories that blunt the edges of the pain you feel with your Dad's passing. Thanks for sharing another great trip memory!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You write beautifully and paint such vivid pictures for your readers. I'm glad you have this memory of your dad and got to spend this time with him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This reply is in reference to your reply to my blog. I posted on March 17 but to my blog instead of yours. Just realized this morning. Yes, I was amazed at the number of apps and so many of them are free! I would love to have this tool for all my students and myself. I think the students would be so engaged and it offers so many ways for the students to show their creativity.

    ReplyDelete