Tuesday, March 29, 2011

feeding the fish

Las Vegas has a plethora of diversions to offer visitors, and I enjoy the sites on the strip and Fremont Street as much as any tourist. But when my husband and I want to spend our time with a more leisurely amusement, we head out to Lake Mead, approximately 30 miles Southeast of Las Vegas, Nevada.  When we drive over the crest and first glimpse the lake in the distance, the sapphire blue water sits like a jewel amid the distinctive desert landscape and red canyon walls. The rust colored rock walls surrounding the lake are highlighted with a white “bathtub ring” which is a clear indication of the 130 foot drop in the water level resulting from the 11 year drought.
Within the Lake Meade Recreational area, Hemenway Harbor is located off Hwy 93. It docks houseboats which are rented to families and groups to serve as their temporary living quarters while they float along the lake’s surface and fish, camp, sun, and party.  A long dock made of interlocking platforms that float above the water, roll and shift as we walk these prefab planks. At the end of the dock is the harbor, where you rent the boats and a little store where you can buy supplies.  My husband and I like to go there to feed the brownish-gray carp which congregate at the dock to gulp down the popcorn, bread, chips, and other treats the humans offer. These fish were introduced in the 1880’s and have become a nuisance for some, but a delight to others. They congregate in the hundreds at the edge of the docks and open their salmon colored mouths reminiscent of baby birds begging for their meals. People delight in tossing them bits of food and watching them edge out their neighbor to snap up the treats. They are so thick in some places that they look like one solid carpet of grey scales and gaping mouths. The local ducks venture as close as they dare, hoping for some scraps missed by the greedy fish. But I seek out the birds in addition to the carp to make sure they get a morsel to eat. If you have never seen this spectacle, I highly recommend it. Chuck and I usually bring our own loaf (or loaves) of bread, but if you forget, they stock popcorn at the store for the tourists who enjoy this delightful commotion.

10 comments:

  1. If you have a chance, stop by the Ethel M Cactus Garden while the trees are in bloom. I went out to snap some photos and could not believe how fragrant the air was as I meandered along the path. There in the midst of the city, I lost some of my stress amidst the beauty and tranquility.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my family's favorite excursion as well! We have done this numerous times and have enjoyed each visit a little more. No one in our family likes to eat the end pieces of a loaf of bread, so this becomes the start of our "stash". We keep the bread in the freezer, until we have at least one bag for each of our 3 kids. The kids have a blast feeding the carps that come in the hundreds. They play a game to see who can find the biggest fish, or which one can throw the bread straight into a fish's mouth first. Somehow, the youngest always manages to run out of bread first, but sweetly swindles more from her older brothers:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have lived here 5 years now and I have never been out to Lake Mead. Perhaps the boys would like to go and feed the fish someday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Floating on lake Mead is on my bucket list. The images that you so perfectly described are part of the reason. I have seen so many fabulous pictures of the cliffs and wouldn't mind feeding the fish too. I may be geographically impaired, but do you know if they finished the new bridge/road around the Hoover dam? I have seen some amazing photos of it's construction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sue, Great minds think alike. I too went to the Ethyl M cactus garden to photograph the cactus and other native and introduced species. I too love to go there because of its "beauty and tranquility". While I was there it felt like it wasn't a work day, and I did not have homework, and everything was in balance. The cactus garden has always been one of my favorite Las Vegas points of interest. Have you been there at Christmas? It is absolutely breathtaking with the thousands of lights on the cactus and trees. I recommend it to anyone, and often take out of town visitors and locals alike to see the spectacle
    Cristina, I love your story of the kids feeding the fish. I can just see them throwing the bread into the waiting mouths of the carp. And I can picture your daughter sweet talking her brothers into letting her have some extra bread.
    Claire, I don’t think you would be disappointed. It is a great trip for the family, and if you save the ends of the bread, or buy bread that is “reduced for quick sale” at the grocery store, it is a very reasonable outing. If you go, let me know how you liked it.
    Jill, the Mike O’Callaghan – Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge of the Hoover Dam Bypass project is complete. I hope you can come out and see the lake. If you do not want to rent a houseboat, there is a lake mead cruise that I highly recommend. They have a Lake Mead dinner cruise, and cruises which do not include a meal, but they have sandwiches and snacks available for sale. I had lived in Las Vegas for six years before I took the cruise, and I asked myself what took me so long. The view of the canyon and the lake was incredible. The dock for the cruise and the dock for the fish are not the same, but if you can fit them both in, it’s worth it. Also, if you do plan to come to Vegas, let me know. I will let you know about some of my favorite spots.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a wonderful place to take the family to visit. I have never been to Las Vegas but always wanted to visit. I will have to remember this if I am every lucky enough to make it there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy, I hope that you can make it. Before you come, do your homework, there is so much to see and do, it is best to make reservations in advance for any shows that you want to see. Also plan your days carefully. It takes longer to get from one place to the other than one would think. If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the visual. It is a very interesting and unusual site. I bet your grandchildren love to go with you to feed the fish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you keep this blog up for a long time so that if I can ever head your way, I will be able to look at it and see possibilities for travel. You paint such a wonderful picture of these places. You need to write for a travel magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pam, thank you for the compliment. I hope to keep up the blog, as this has been interesting and fun. I do hope you can visit one day. I think you would enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete